It's kind of hard to believe that this semester is almost over. It's particularly hard to believe when I think about how much work I haven't done on my thesis, as well as how close I am to being done with several of my classes. I'll only have 2 exams, both of which I'll have finished in a week. Well, I say only 2, there'll be one more that we're required to go and hear 2 groups presenting and have a "closing ritual." Not sure what that's gonna be, but if it doesn't involve food, I'm not sure I'm gonna stick around for long.
My communalism class had us pick a commune to study, and my group chose The Family. They're really, really bizarre. Looking at their website, you wouldn't think they were anything out of the ordinary, but when you look at former members, you start to see a completely different picture. Sex for evangelism, sex for fundraiser, sex with kids. Not a very appetizing picture.
In other news, Amanda's cooking some very attractive desserts. There's a reason I keep gaining weight, but I'll keep blaming it on my lack of exercise rather than my overactive eating for a little longer.
2 comments:
My group studied Jim Jones. Also weird, but for reasons not usually thought of by the general public. He was a Methodist minister too.
Luther and the communalism class taught me a great appreciation of communal living (in the non-Jim Jones or The Family sense), I can see the reasons that some would chose this lifestyle, but I realized that there are very few people I would choose to live with for an extended period of time.
Good luck with Finals!
Well, Well, Peter von Herrmann. What a lovely blog page you have. Oh, this is Kelly Claverie (The Coolest Catholic to ever attend the University of Alabama). Anywhoo, I just want to say hello and congrats on your nuptuals. Hello, Peter's wife!
You'll be pleased to know I lived through the hurricane and my house was not damaged in new Orleans. There was no damage, you'll love this one, because I put Holy Cards in every room and poured Holy Water around my whole house. I guess someone should attach a hose to a jug of Holy Water and spray the Big Easy next time. Thereby making the city wet...bad idea.
Good luck with your finals and such. While you're wrong about your religion(hehe), I commend your academic pursuits. I am currently teaching the Catholic Youth of America at my former High School, Archbishop Chapelle, which has now become a co-ed school because of Katrina. Craziness-you can't keep Catholic girls and boys locked up in the same classroom. Yet they know they will lose a hand if they touch each other. I however, have been proposed too and have received professions of undying love on several occasions. Ah, high school boys.
Glad to hear ya'll are well and I hope ya'll have a great Christmas!
Post a Comment