So, I watched the Daytona 500 today with Amanda and her parents. It's the first time I've watched a full NASCAR race, and I made a realization: Tony Stewart's a prick. I think NASCAR's trying to pull the same kind of bad guy / good guy stuff that pro wrestling pulls. Like the bad guy that's a complete jerk to everyone, yet gets all the benefits from the organization? That's pretty much Tony Stewart. Dude was clearly on a mission to screw over multiple people, which is bizarre since he won the points championship last year. There were something like 6 wrecks, and Tony Stewart was responsible for at least half of them. He took out Jeff Gordan pretty quickly, then he moved on to Matt Kenseth, then he ran someone else into the grass (I can't remember right now who). And yet, Kenseth got punished more for "not responding quickly enough" when NASCAR told him to calm down after he found out they were basically penalizing Stewart something like .5 a lap, whereas Kenseth had just been knocked out of contention for the day.
Anyway, that's my NASCAR theory - they're trying to become like pro wrestling. I didn't watch wrestling for long enough to be able to make a good analogy, but I think it's there. Anyone who has feel free to comment.
By the way, congrats to George O'Malley of Grey's Anatomy. He'll likely not end up with Meredith, but he got his groove on and said what he'd been trying to say forever. As someone who was always uncomfortable expressing myself to folks I had a crush on (or, rather, I never did until college), I'm happy for ole' George. Good for you.
3 comments:
completion and addendum to Peter's post.
Kenseth is the driver that Stewart sweerved in front of and subsequently pushed off the track, ending his (Kenseth's) chances for the day. Stewart was sent to the end of the longest line. (He should have been parked.) Then Kenseth ran up next to him leaving pit road, and was penalized for not "blending in to traffic" which turned into a black flag, loss of lap when he wouldn't answer the penalty. Kyle Busch and SStewart bumped the end of the race. Stewart and Gordon did get into it near the beginning of the race. Also, Stewart ran over his jack and nearly hit a crewman, and was penalized (Again, should have been parked.)
Also, I'm not sure that Petre can even claim that he "expressed himself" as aforementioned even in college.
There. Corrections have been made. Let the record be complete and true, so help me God.
The Mrs.
but at least I can spell your name, not write something like "Petre" on the internet.
Ummmmmm ... you two are now cyber-arguing on the blog y'all share. It seems NASCAR isn't the only one trying to turn this into a pro wrestling duel.
By the way, speaking as a guy who has covered one race (and will likely be covering another soon), I can say with confidence: Stewart is a jackass, but probably not any more so than half of the other guys in the garage. It's sort of funny: most of them are really cool on television, then turn into gargoyles the second the cameras click off.
And I've said much more about NASCAR than I wanted just in this post.
Post a Comment